Emmett Paul’s Birth Story

I had been having light contractions for a few weeks.  July 5 came, and I had a doctor appointment at 11:00.  I was 38 1/2 weeks along.  My doctor told me that I was dilated to a 4 and he was surprised I was still pregnant.  He stripped my membranes, ouch, and I went home.

Mike had taken the day off work because of the holiday the day before.  We wanted to do something fun as a family, so we headed to Lagoon.  Mike took Grant on some big rides, while I took the girls to the kid rides.  I felt a contraction around 1:30, but thought it was a fluke.  Then we were sitting watching a cheesy singing show, and I was having them every 10 minutes.  They were a little painful, but mostly felt like tightening.  I told Mike we needed to walk around so that they didn’t stop.  I was so ready to have a baby!  We walked to Pioneer Village and I told Mike we needed to leave, they were starting to hurt.

We got home and I took a quick shower.  Then the contractions were coming about 5 minutes apart so we decided to head to the hospital.  When we got there, a nurse told us that they didn’t have any rooms available and to wait in the waiting room.  We ended up in the waiting room for an hour and a half.  The contractions were getting more painful and coming closer together.  I was so embarrassed to be breathing heavily through these contractions with all these strangers watching me in the waiting room.  I went and had a bit of a breakdown in the bathroom.  Mike was really great during the whole ordeal, and tried to get me into a room quicker.  Finally, I went up and cried to the nurse about the situation, and they got me in a triage room.

Once in the triage room, the contractions were really starting to hurt!  This was around 5:30 and I was dilated to a 5.  I was starting to panic that I wouldn’t be able to get an epidural.  Around 7:00 they finally got me into a room!  My nurse Taylor was so great and helped me to breath through the painful contractions.  I couldn’t get an epidural because they were so busy, and the anesthesiologist was in on a C-section for twins.  I’ve never felt pain like that in my life.  I wasn’t prepared for it.  I felt like I was drowning and couldn’t breathe.  Mike held my hand and helped me through them.  The nurse was really great too.  It got so painful I was to the point of breathing in and on my breath out, I would yell “NO!” or “OW!!!!”  Kind of embarrassing now, but I was in so much pain!  The contractions would start in my back and then wrap around to the front.  One of the hardest parts near the end was that there was hardly any break in between contractions.  I would feel another one coming on and start saying “Oh no!  Dang it!  Here it comes again!”

Finally I got my epidural!  I was so relieved!  As the anesthesiologist was leaving, Dr. Biere came in.  He checked me and said, “No wonder you’ve been in so much pain.  You’re at a 10 plus and ready to push!  I’ll give you 10 minutes to let that epidural take effect.”  I guess it would’ve been smart to have been checked before I got the epidural as I was probably at a ten then as well.  But I’m happy they didn’t, because even though it was for 10 minutes, it was totally worth it!  I pushed twice and Emmett came right out!  Tara was there to take pictures, I’m so thankful she was able to come.


The first thing I said when I saw him was, “He looks like Jossy!”  I was so relieved that labor was over!  I was so happy that he was here safely!  He was beautiful!  6 lbs 15 oz, 19 inches long.  He was born at 8:48 pm at McKay Dee Hospital.  It was a really hot day, and in the evening when he was born we had a great view of the sun starting to set.

The kids, my parents, Mike’s parents and Savannah came about an hour later to meet him.  It was so great to see the kids meet Emmett for the first time.  They were so excited!  The whole experience was not what I was planning on, but it was amazing.  I wouldn’t change anything.  I’m so happy we have Emmett in our lives, he’s a good baby and just the sweetest thing ever.


Since the hospital, things have been great at home.  We’re exhausted, but enjoying the fun snuggly newborn time!

emmett 2kira emmett

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s